Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Reading for the Future (guest post)



by Larry Nath

As a high school English teacher, I can’t overemphasize the importance of building habitual readers in the early grade levels. In many cases, by the time students enter the secondary English classroom, they have not developed either the reading fluency or stamina needed to read more complex material. Books or essays written in the periods from the mid-nineteenth century to the early twentieth century often contain archaic (or nearly archaic) vocabulary and complex sentence structures that make decoding the language difficult for non-habitual readers. This often leads to an avoidance of more sophisticated writing styles that rob students of some of the most valuable; if not essential, reading experiences the literary world has to offer. Promoting and encouraging early grade students to read habitually helps to instill a sense of value for what the literary world has to offer.



Larry Nath is entering his 21st year of teaching high school English. He is currently teaching AP Language and Composition, Creative Writing, Public Speaking, and Journalism at Indiana Area Senior High in Indiana, PA.

12 comments:

  1. I teach American literature for mostly juniors, and I continually talk to them about the difference in reading for fun and reading for academic growth. There are a lot of books I read for fun, which help my reading stamina. There are also books I read and teach for learning, like The Great Gatsby, that lead to intellectual growth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dana! At the primary level I also talk the different types of books and the purpose of reading each and they practice building reading stamina with daily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post! I teach literacy as a 3rd grade teacher and that is really the year I see students take a real interest in reading. I think that reading starts in the early years of school as well. However, I really believe that a love of reading starts at home. I have noticed that families that read together and love reading are the students who make the most growth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that reading at home is a key to instill the love of reading. Taking your child to the library, having a variety of reading materials within their reach, and reading to or with your child is also critical.

      Delete
  4. Hi Larry,
    I was wondering if you had any suggestions to get students to become habitual readers. I teach middle school social studies but incorporate a book study into each class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reply from Larry-Find what they are interested in reading and then push them into more challenging texts. Consider the student who likes Harry Potter then introduce them to Tolken.

      Delete
  5. I agree! I've taught high school English,and before that, middle school language arts in an urban district. It was difficult to get my students to read in middle school, and I have the same difficulties now. I've heard stories of other teachers who require multiple book reports and/or monthly novels, and I have no idea how they do it! Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reply from Larry-Read the book with them to unpack the complexities of the text. Less is more-spend time on two books thoroughly instead of assigning one book a month. Without your guidance and teaching the students simply will not read the text or understand what they've read.

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed reading this post. I taught second grade last year. I made reading a priority. I saw a lot of benefits to my students. It's true, stamina is important. Vocabulary and context clues are also important. This post reminded me of how critical the primary years are. They are the foundation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I couldn't agree more Breanne! We foster the love of reading and build the foundation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Every year I view it as a challenge to get as many of my students hooked to reading as I can. I learned some good techniques from "The Book Whisperer" by Donna Miller. The main way I do it is for my students to always have a book in their hand. If we're waiting in line for pictures, they bring a book. Early finisher? Read a book. I don't have busy work in my class, they read instead. I also introduce them to series books through my read aloud.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this technique! I hope it is something your students carry with them throughout their life. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete